Wednesday, January 25, 2012

An Alpha-1 COPD Love Story

masslive.com

Sally Everett recounts struggle with Alpha-1 COPD in new book

Published: Wednesday, January 25, 2012, 6:07 AM
Christine White 
011712-sally-everett.JPGSally Everett at her home in Longmeadow. Everett has written a book about her battle with chronic, genetic lung disease.
LONGMEADOW - In 1993, Sally Everett was 50, a single mother, living in Nyack, N.Y., and working as regional director of the Medicaid fraud unit in the attorney general’s office, when a bout of pneumonia led to a devastating diagnosis. 

Doctors told her she had Alpha-1 COPD, a genetic pulmonary disease. They gave her 10 years, at best, to live. 

Nineteen years later, and now living at Glenmeadow with her husband, Dr. Gordon L. Snider, Everett has written a memoir - “An Alpha-1 COPD Love Story,” published by Small Batch Books. It is about her journey from health to illness, the love she encountered along the way, and her fight to raise money and awareness to battle this deadly disease. 

“COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the third greatest cause of death in the U.S., after heart disease and cancer,” Everett said recently, “and yet the Centers for Disease Control doesn’t have a budget for it. Every four minutes someone dies of COPD.” 

Everett is working to change that, but she didn’t start out embracing her illness or championing its cause. 

“After my diagnosis, I gave myself one week to feel sorry for myself, and then I just got on with life,” she said - with one exception. “I threw caution to the wind. I gave myself permission to be extravagant for one whole year.” 

But when the year ended, it was time to confront her condition. She joined a church and its support group for those with challenging illnesses. 

“It enabled me to open up,” she said. 

She was also ready to meet and embrace others with Alpha-1 COPD and in 1994 joined their association. 

“I found strong people there, with a good attitude,” she explained. “Many of them are still good friends.” 

Then in the late 1990s, she was elected to the board of the Alpha-1 Foundation. Unlike the Alpha-1 Association, which serves as a support group and information distributor, the foundation is designed to raise money for research. 

Also elected to the board that year, as science adviser, was Dr. Snider, a renowned pulmonologist. They became good friends. Everett didn’t realize how good. 

In 2001, he called her from his home in Boston and told her that he loved her and wanted to start a relationship. 

“You could have picked me up off the floor,” Everett said. The only response she could think to give him was, ‘Can I get back to you in a couple of weeks?’” 

A year later, she moved to Boston to be with him and in 2006, they married. That same year, they moved to Longmeadow. Oddly enough, their roles have in some ways reversed. She was the one with a critical diagnosis when they met. Since then, Snider has suffered a stroke and has battled lymphoma. But they have a philosophy they live by: “Life’s still worth living if it beats the alternative.” 

Alpha-1 is a deficiency in a protein, manufactured primarily in the liver, that protects the lungs. It can affect both the liver and lungs, leading to COPD in adults and liver disease in newborns, children and adults. 

COPD is often called “Smokers Disease,” but new research points to a genetic predisposition in those diagnosed with it. That’s why only about 20 percent of smokers get it. According to Everett, awareness of this condition needs to be raised, since even many primary care physicians are unfamiliar with its genetic aspect. 

“Both liver doctors and pulmonologists know about Alpha-1 and know to test right away for the genetic component when they encounter liver disease or COPD, but among family doctors and internists, it’s not so well known.” she said. 

Clinical trials are now under way in New York to test all newborns for the genetic disorder. While there’s nothing that can be done to cure the problem, short of a transplant, anyone with a predisposition would be warned to protect themselves from risk factors such as smoking, and environmental and industrial pollutants. 

It took Everett 2 1/2 years to write and publish the book. 

“I started out writing the book for my grandchildren,” she said. “I wanted them to know they always have choices. It may not be the choices you wish you had, but you always have choices. Then I realized that I could help others, as well. Stuff happens in life that we can’t predict. It’s what we do when it does that defines us.” 

The book is available at www.amazon.com or www.barnesandnoble.com. Half the profits from the sale of the book will support research into Alpha-1 and COPD. 
© 2012 masslive.com. All rights reserved.

9 comments:

  1. For people suffering from COPD, it is important for them to know that they are not alone. I was also a victim.
    I had experienced shortness of breath, coughing, recurring chest infections and bronchitis. But I didn’t realize that I had COPD until I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with COPD. The first thing I did was get myself informed. Having COPD hasn’t slowed me down. Even though I had COPD I still played golf and involved myself in different excercise though I started smoking at 19 years of age I smoked almost a pack a day. The doctor had told me to quit smoking, it was frightening and frustrating, I thought it was to avoid stress. I learned about Dr. Lance Herbal Medicine from a friend. Now my life has turned around for good because I consider myself most fortunate.
    There are so many people out there who have COPD and don’t realize it.
    If you have COPD, many things are available to help you live a full, comfortable life don’t be ashamed of it.
    I can’t speak for everyone. I can guarantee that this Herbal Medicine will work for you and I suggest you try it. It has done wonders for me. contact him on lancejustin54@gmail.com for more information and advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello viewer’s
      I don’t have much to say there are so may scammers going on online so we cant detect the real herbal medicine doctors. Thank GOD for leading me, please don’t ignore this post is real Dr Emmanuel, is a real herbal Doctor, he cured me from Herpes virus, i am living so happy and free , i was fully recovered within 4 weeks of usage of dr Emmanuel herbal medicine ,please viewers out there that have any deadly disease don't fail to contact him via his email; nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or WhatsApp/Call: +2348140073965  thanks once again to dr Emmanuel GOD bless you abundantly  
      he also cured HIV/AIDS,CANCER,GENITAL WART,COPD,BRAIN TUMOR

      Delete
  2. For people suffering from COPD, it is important for them to know that they are not alone. I was also a victim.
    I had experienced shortness of breath, coughing, recurring chest infections and bronchitis. But I didn’t realize that I had COPD until I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with COPD. The first thing I did was get myself informed. Having COPD hasn’t slowed me down. Even though I had COPD I still played golf and involved myself in different excercise though I started smoking at 19 years of age I smoked almost a pack a day. The doctor had told me to quit smoking, it was frightening and frustrating, I thought it was to avoid stress. I learned about Dr. Lance Herbal Medicine from a friend. Now my life has turned around for good because I consider myself most fortunate.
    There are so many people out there who have COPD and don’t realize it.
    If you have COPD, many things are available to help you live a full, comfortable life don’t be ashamed of it.
    I can’t speak for everyone. I can guarantee that this Herbal Medicine will work for you and I suggest you try it. It has done wonders for me. contact him on lancejustin54@gmail.com for more information and advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Rachel and I own a herbal Therapy Center. What I am about to share with you is based on actual fact and I am not a socially irresponsible person. I am a woman of character and I believed that we have only one purpose for existing and that is to help our fellow humans. And everyday millions of other people are joining me and waking up to the understanding that love is the only thing that matters in this life.

    For the past 10+ years I have dealt with a lot of people who have come to me asking if herbal remedies will get rid of herpes, usually genital. I always tell people from what I have observed and heard about NATURAL REMEDY and I suggest that they try it for themselves. I have never told anyone that herbal remedy would cure their herpes.

    I have never told anyone this because I have never had any physical proof to back that up... until this day.

    I have always told anyone who would listen the mystical work herbal remedy do for me when ever I'm in depression, I could say that because if it did that for me, it would do the same for anyone else.

    I have also always told people how herbal remedies got my doctor to successfully cured DIABETES, INFERTILITY, CANCERS, PARALYSIS, STDS & INFECTIONS.

    And I tell anyone about how herbal remedy got me off the Lysinopril I was taking for my high blood pressure That also normalized within 2months. And I am thankful it did because Lysinopril has since been recalled for turning the livers of hundreds of thousands of people into mush!

    And with all the good things herbal remedy has done for my body, I still resisted the urge to tell anyone suffering with herpes that herbal remedy would cure them... but now I am here to tell you differently because I finally came in contact with Dr Utu an African Traditional Herbal Practitioner.

    Few days ago I received an email from a young lady and she told me that her doctor has told her that her body is 100% free of any HSV virus. That her herpes has been cured! I could feel her bouncing off the walls through her email... and my heart was just as happy for her.

    I have asked her to please post a comment on my YouTube Channel.

    I don't know how long she had been infected before she purchased Dr Utu African Traditional Herbal Cure and I do not know anything about the severity of her outbreaks. All I know was that she promised me that she was following the guidelines that Dr Utu gave her to the letter.

    I know there are a lot of people who will think this is too good to be true... but I have always believed that herbal remedy was a viable cure for herpes - but without any proof I felt it would be seriously irresponsible to tell anyone that it would.

    Please feel free to leave a comment to me but please no negative ones. My company is my life and I have spent over 10 years nurturing a good reputation for myself and my business. I am putting everything on the line here, so please bear with me until we know more.

    Why am I risking so much? Why don't I just wait for her? - Are you serious? This is the BIGGEST health breakthrough in my entire lifetime! I'm over 60 and there have been NO CURES for anything since the day I was born! The big pharmaceutical companies all know there is no money in a cure. The money is in teaching you and me to 'live with' and 'manage' deadly, body-wasting and disgusting diseases for our entire lives.

    Imagine the joy all over the world when her story breaks! I invite you all to share in that joy with her and with me.

    You can also contact Dr Utu for yourself via e-mail; drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com  

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 59 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting to underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, totalcureherbsfoundation .c om has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs,it class products at affordable prices. Purchase these medicines and get the generic medicines delivered in USA, UK & Australia,I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do anyone still doubt natural herbs? I’ve seen the great importance of natural supplements and the wonderful work Dr Edidia has done in my husband life.I was looking for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease COPD treatments for my husband who was 72yrs old, my husband has COPD and cancer, his condition was very critical which i was very afraid that will not survive it.His white blood count was very low right now and his doctors are planning on starting some chemo or other treatment soon.. I don't believe he will last long if he does this.. His COPD  is getting worse even though he hasn't smoked in 30 years. so i decided to come online to see if there will be better alternative, during my research i saw a lady post about doctor Dr Edidia  who has power over deadly disease, so i decided to contact him because i really do not care about what my husband was talking in all i want for him is for him to get well for me because he was all i have, my husband took the remedies that he send to us through UPS  as he told us and few weeks later my husband stop to notice that symptoms of his disease are begging to leave him so he went back to his Doctor and he was told he no longer has those diseases.
    My husband is totally free of COPD and cancer if not for doctor Edidia who help us rid this problem there is a possibility that my husband wouldn't be alive today.
    their contact info (dredidiaherbalhome@gmail.comor whatsapp +2349074505296 visit his website http://dredidiaherbalhome.weebly.com/  or   https://dredidiaherbalhome.wixsite.com/dredidiaherbalhomehttps://dr-edidia-herbal-home.business.site/  

    ReplyDelete

  7. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello views, I am so excited to share this wonderful story here .

    I was diagnosed with herpes virus and I was told there was no cure except medication that can control it, I totally lost hope, all I could think was losing my life because I was so depressed and confused about the whole situation , few weeks ago I read about Dr Oso online how he cured someone from cancer which was guaranteed, but i never still believe on it but i decided to give a try on him so I ordered the medicine after using it for few days i started experiencing changes all over me so i waited until i finish using the medication, so after everything I went for blood test to confirm if i am really healed from this virus to my greatest surprise it came out negative i jump up and shattered oh my goodness what a wonderful miracle i never believed in . I am so excited to share my testimony. Thank you so much Dr Oso . You are a great man. I must tell everyone I know who has any kind of disease or virus. you can also email him on via drosohaberhome@gmail.com or Call/Whatsapp +2348162084839

    you can check on Dr oso site : https://sites.google.com/view/drosohaberhome/

    you can also contact me for more info about Dr Oso faceynancy1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete