Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Real Silent Killer


 I have Alpha-1 COPD.  You don’t know what that is?  It’s chronic obstructive pulmonary disease caused by Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency.  That didn’t help?  I’m not surprised.  Even though Alpha-1, the major genetic risk factor for COPD, is more common than cystic fibrosis, most people have never heard of it.  Likewise, COPD is now the third greatest cause of death in this country, but we seldom read anything about it.  Search the New York Times website like I did and you won’t find a single story focusing on COPD since November 2007.  Just this past year, however, you’ll find plenty of stories focusing on Parkinson’s disease, Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Alzheimer’s, Diabetes, and HIV even though COPD kills far more people in this country than any of these other diseases. 

Federal funding for COPD research is likewise disproportionate to its impact. In fact, the Centers For Disease Control doesn’t even have a budget for COPD.  As for the National Institute’s for Health (NIH), the Fair Allocations in Research Foundation (FAIR) takes NIH’s annual estimate of its support by disease and divides that by the number of deaths from each such disease to calculate its support per death.  By FAIR’s calculations, in 2012 NIH plans to spend only $8 per death for COPD, as against $42 per death for diabetes, $86 per death for Alzheimer’s, $157 for Parkinson’s disease, $177 for Prostate Cancer, $3,047 for HIV/AIDS and $3,721 for Breast Cancer.

Goggle “silent killer” and you will come up with heart disease, diabetes, and hypertension, but not COPD.  That’s not surprising.  The Real Silent Killer is the one you never read about.  A recent Canadian study estimated that one in four people over age 35 would likely develop COPD.  I’d say that was big news.  But it wasn’t reported in the New York Times.  Or how about the recent news that COPD is now the third greatest killer in the United States?  That wasn’t reported in the Times either.  I don’t mean to pick on the Times.  I’m sure the reporting on COPD is no better in any other major newspaper in this country.  But the Times is my newspaper of choice.  I depend on it.  So the question is why haven’t there been more stories about COPD? 

Perhaps it’s the outdated stigma that people with COPD are smokers.  In other words, we did it to ourselves. Yet according to the National Cancer Institute, of the 440,000 premature, preventable deaths each year in this country from exposure to cigarette smoke, 75 percent are from cancer, heart disease and stroke and only 25 percent are from COPD. Perhaps, instead, the mere image of those of us who must carry oxygen everywhere we go makes readers uncomfortable.  Alternatively, perhaps it’s the sound of our portable oxygen equipment that disturbs them. 

Ironically, the Times did carry one COPD-related story this past year written by one of its music critics.  Instead of reporting on the concert he’d just attended, however, James Oestriech focused instead on the “relentless rhythm” of a portable oxygen device that, he said, had thoroughly spoiled his enjoyment of the music.  He then expounded on whether the rights of persons with medical devices trumped his rights as a concertgoer and critic.  Finally, he advised readers who might find themselves in a similar situation that, if they complained, an usher would move the offender and his device.  To its credit, the Times then published a rebuttal from John Walsh, President of the COPD Foundation.

Current estimates are that there are twenty-four million of us with COPD in this country. Tragically, only twelve million of us have been diagnosed to date.  If and when the rest of us are, it could be too late.  COPD is preventable and treatable, especially if diagnosed early enough.  To their credit, the COPD Foundation and the National Heart and Blood Institute have each launched awareness campaigns.  Recently pharmaceutical companies have also subjected those of us already diagnosed with COPD to an onslaught of TV ads.  But we need a national conversation about COPD focusing on the major risk factors and the importance of early testing.  Who better to initiate this conversation than my favorite newspaper, the New York Times? 

7 comments:

  1. For people suffering from COPD, it is important for them to know that they are not alone. I was also a victim.
    I had experienced shortness of breath, coughing, recurring chest infections and bronchitis. But I didn't realize that I had COPD until I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with COPD. The first thing I did was get myself informed. Having COPD hasn't slowed me down. Even though I had COPD I still played golf and involved myself in different exercise though I started smoking at 19 years of age I smoked almost a pack a day. The doctor had told me to quit smoking, it was frightening and frustrating, I thought it was to avoid stress. I learned about Dr. Lance Herbal Medicine from a friend. Now my life has turned around for good because I consider myself most fortunate.
    There are so many people out there who have COPD and don’t realize it.
    If you have COPD, many things are available to help you live a full, comfortable life don’t be ashamed of it.
    I can’t speak for everyone. I can guarantee that this Herbal Medicine will work for you and I suggest you try it. It has done wonders for me. contact him on lancejustin54@gmail.com for more information and advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Rachel and I own a herbal Therapy Center. What I am about to share with you is based on actual fact and I am not a socially irresponsible person. I am a woman of character and I believed that we have only one purpose for existing and that is to help our fellow humans. And everyday millions of other people are joining me and waking up to the understanding that love is the only thing that matters in this life.

    For the past 10+ years I have dealt with a lot of people who have come to me asking if herbal remedies will get rid of herpes, usually genital. I always tell people from what I have observed and heard about NATURAL REMEDY and I suggest that they try it for themselves. I have never told anyone that herbal remedy would cure their herpes.

    I have never told anyone this because I have never had any physical proof to back that up... until this day.

    I have always told anyone who would listen the mystical work herbal remedy do for me when ever I'm in depression, I could say that because if it did that for me, it would do the same for anyone else.

    I have also always told people how herbal remedies got my doctor to successfully cured DIABETES, INFERTILITY, CANCERS, PARALYSIS, STDS & INFECTIONS.

    And I tell anyone about how herbal remedy got me off the Lysinopril I was taking for my high blood pressure That also normalized within 2months. And I am thankful it did because Lysinopril has since been recalled for turning the livers of hundreds of thousands of people into mush!

    And with all the good things herbal remedy has done for my body, I still resisted the urge to tell anyone suffering with herpes that herbal remedy would cure them... but now I am here to tell you differently because I finally came in contact with Dr Utu an African Traditional Herbal Practitioner.

    Few days ago I received an email from a young lady and she told me that her doctor has told her that her body is 100% free of any HSV virus. That her herpes has been cured! I could feel her bouncing off the walls through her email... and my heart was just as happy for her.

    I have asked her to please post a comment on my YouTube Channel.

    I don't know how long she had been infected before she purchased Dr Utu African Traditional Herbal Cure and I do not know anything about the severity of her outbreaks. All I know was that she promised me that she was following the guidelines that Dr Utu gave her to the letter.

    I know there are a lot of people who will think this is too good to be true... but I have always believed that herbal remedy was a viable cure for herpes - but without any proof I felt it would be seriously irresponsible to tell anyone that it would.

    Please feel free to leave a comment to me but please no negative ones. My company is my life and I have spent over 10 years nurturing a good reputation for myself and my business. I am putting everything on the line here, so please bear with me until we know more.

    Why am I risking so much? Why don't I just wait for her? - Are you serious? This is the BIGGEST health breakthrough in my entire lifetime! I'm over 60 and there have been NO CURES for anything since the day I was born! The big pharmaceutical companies all know there is no money in a cure. The money is in teaching you and me to 'live with' and 'manage' deadly, body-wasting and disgusting diseases for our entire lives.

    Imagine the joy all over the world when her story breaks! I invite you all to share in that joy with her and with me.

    You can also contact Dr Utu for yourself via e-mail; drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com  

    ReplyDelete

  4. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2348110114739 visit his website https://www.instagram.com/herbalist_sakurahttps://web.facebook.com/herbalistsakura/ https://drsakurahealthclinic.wixsite.com/website https://sites.google.com/view/herbalistsakura https://drsakuraspellcentre.blogspot.com/ https://drsakuraspellcentre.wordpress.com/ for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhonda S.’s COPD made her feel short of breath and like she was constantly dragging. While her inhalers helped some, she just didn’t feel like herself anymore.
    After having life-threatening pneumonia, she knew something had to change. A friend of hers mentioned multivitamin herbal formula restoration treatment, so Rhonda did some research and decided to receive treatment at the multivitamin herbal cure. “I started to feel better almost right away,” Rhonda said.And, along with feeling better, she began to do things she couldn’t do before treatment. Now, Rhonda can take showers, work in her flower garden, and she enjoys having more energy. It’s with a great deal of hope, Rhonda says, “I feel more like myself.”
    Like Rhonda, you can breathe easier and bring normal life back within reach. If you or someone you love has a chronic lung disease and would like more information, contact us today by calling (+1 (956) 758-7882 to visit their website multivitamincare .org

    ReplyDelete