Saturday, November 2, 2013

A DETERMINED MAN - PART II



Gordon was transferred to Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston only three days after his stroke. Every morning, for the next six weeks, he spent with a myriad of physical, occupational and speech therapists. I spent my mornings trying to figure out how we would cope when Gordon came home. Afternoons we spent together.

Before spending the afternoon with Gordon, however, I usually had lunch in Spaulding’s cafeteria. Likewise, on my way home, I usually stopped at Whole Foods to pick up my supper. I had neither desire, nor energy to cook for myself. Everything within me was focused on Gordon.

From his first day at Spaulding, Gordon was really focused on regaining his speech. Every afternoon he practiced by reading lists of words aloud to himself over and over and over again. But all that practice paid off. I’ll never forget the day he abandoned the word lists and read the New York Times aloud to me instead.   

Gordon applied that same determination to the task of regaining the use of his right leg. Every afternoon he also did leg strengthening exercises by himself over and over and over again. As a result, within six weeks, he was walking, albeit with the aid of a four-point cane and a brace.

Unfortunately, his determination notwithstanding, Gordon never regained any functional use of his right arm or his right hand. Amazingly, however, he never complained. Instead, he just used that same determination to teach himself how to type and sign his name with his left hand only. 

For most of his adult life, Gordon’s determination to solve the riddles of COPD and Alpha-1 had left little time for family, friends, and other activities. Now, he had all the time in the world and, as soon as he was able, he told me, he was going to put it to good use. He was reinventing himself.

Both Gordon and I loved to travel and one year after his stroke we took our first big trip; a scenic cruise to Alaska. The following winter, we flew to Coronado Island, California, where we spent two glorious months in a condominium directly overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Essentially, from the summer of 2004 to the summer of 2006, we took advantage of almost every opportunity that we had to travel.

Early in the summer of 2006, however, our lives were upended again when Gordon was diagnosed with aggressive B-Cell lymphoma. He immediately had Chemotherapy that killed the lymphoma. But, as a result, he also spent two long weeks in ICU, followed by almost two years of rehabilitation and physical therapy. And this time, despite his best efforts, Gordon would never walk again.

Thankfully, in June 2006, we had just moved to Glenmeadow, a retirement community in western MA. Not only is Glenmeadow handicapped accessible, but also its handicapped vans will take you anywhere you want to go. So Gordon got himself a motorized wheelchair and like my good friend Rita, he just “picked himself up, dusted himself off, and kept going.”

Together Gordon and I went to symphony; we went to art museums; we went out to dinner with friends. We read books, watched movies, and, of course, faithfully read the New York Times. We entertained our children and our grandchildren. We also hosted special events for our extended families. And every year our entire blended family celebrated Passover together, a tradition we have pledged to continue in honor of Gordon.

When Gordon died on June 8, 2013, his son Barry noted that it had been almost ten years to the day since he had his stroke. Never once, during those ten years, did I ever hear him complain about his limitations. Instead, every day he reminded me that life, especially the life that we had together, was far better than the alternative.


Yes, the Gordon I knew was a determined man. He was determined to live life to the fullest, no matter the obstacles, for as long as he absolutely could. Gordon was both my husband and my mentor and I miss him terribly.

2 comments:

  1. I'm Rachel and I own a herbal Therapy Center. What I am about to share with you is based on actual fact and I am not a socially irresponsible person. I am a woman of character and I believed that we have only one purpose for existing and that is to help our fellow humans. And everyday millions of other people are joining me and waking up to the understanding that love is the only thing that matters in this life.

    For the past 10+ years I have dealt with a lot of people who have come to me asking if herbal remedies will get rid of herpes, usually genital. I always tell people from what I have observed and heard about NATURAL REMEDY and I suggest that they try it for themselves. I have never told anyone that herbal remedy would cure their herpes.

    I have never told anyone this because I have never had any physical proof to back that up... until this day.

    I have always told anyone who would listen the mystical work herbal remedy do for me when ever I'm in depression, I could say that because if it did that for me, it would do the same for anyone else.

    I have also always told people how herbal remedies got my doctor to successfully cured DIABETES, INFERTILITY, CANCERS, PARALYSIS, STDS & INFECTIONS.

    And I tell anyone about how herbal remedy got me off the Lysinopril I was taking for my high blood pressure That also normalized within 2months. And I am thankful it did because Lysinopril has since been recalled for turning the livers of hundreds of thousands of people into mush!

    And with all the good things herbal remedy has done for my body, I still resisted the urge to tell anyone suffering with herpes that herbal remedy would cure them... but now I am here to tell you differently because I finally came in contact with Dr Utu an African Traditional Herbal Practitioner.

    Few days ago I received an email from a young lady and she told me that her doctor has told her that her body is 100% free of any HSV virus. That her herpes has been cured! I could feel her bouncing off the walls through her email... and my heart was just as happy for her.

    I have asked her to please post a comment on my YouTube Channel.

    I don't know how long she had been infected before she purchased Dr Utu African Traditional Herbal Cure and I do not know anything about the severity of her outbreaks. All I know was that she promised me that she was following the guidelines that Dr Utu gave her to the letter.

    I know there are a lot of people who will think this is too good to be true... but I have always believed that herbal remedy was a viable cure for herpes - but without any proof I felt it would be seriously irresponsible to tell anyone that it would.

    Please feel free to leave a comment to me but please no negative ones. My company is my life and I have spent over 10 years nurturing a good reputation for myself and my business. I am putting everything on the line here, so please bear with me until we know more.

    Why am I risking so much? Why don't I just wait for her? - Are you serious? This is the BIGGEST health breakthrough in my entire lifetime! I'm over 60 and there have been NO CURES for anything since the day I was born! The big pharmaceutical companies all know there is no money in a cure. The money is in teaching you and me to 'live with' and 'manage' deadly, body-wasting and disgusting diseases for our entire lives.

    Imagine the joy all over the world when her story breaks! I invite you all to share in that joy with her and with me.

    You can also contact Dr Utu for yourself via e-mail; drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete