Sunday, November 24, 2013

A DOUBLE WHAMMY


Those who know me well know that my glass is nearly always half-full. My theory of life is that if something bad happens, take time to grieve and then get on with you life. Even though you may not always see it at first, there’s usually another road to take and that road may even be better than the one you were originally on.

So it should not be surprising that not long after Gordon’s death, I convinced myself that, with Gordon gone, I would now get a lung transplant. And that lung transplant would lead to a whole new life, and so on, and so forth.

That positive thinking really helped me for a while. It gave me the necessary motivation to recover, to get my strength back and to get back on the transplant list. Three days a week for about six weeks I worked with a physical therapist and in between I exercised by myself.

My first big test was on Friday, July 5, when I went to the pulmonary rehabilitation center at our local hospital to do a 6-minute walk. In order to get on the list, or in my case to get back on the list after my hospitalization, you have to be able to walk 500 feet or more in six minutes. On that day I walked 800 feet!

My first visit to the Brigham and Women’s Transplant Center after Gordon’s death was on Wednesday, July 10. Coincidentally, that day I’d been scheduled to meet with Dr. Goldberg, the Transplant Program Director. After first examining me and asking me a series of questions, she said we were all set for another few months unless I had any questions.

And then it happened! I opened my mouth and asked Dr. Goldberg what priority I had on the transplant list. Her answer was, “No priority.”

Somehow I’d always known it, but it had never been spoken of so directly. In comparison to persons with every other lung disease, research shows that those of us with COPD, Alpha-1 and not, live longer pre-transplant. And that research is the rationale behind the 2005 UNOS lung transplant guidelines. Everything else being equal, UNOS guidelines give priority to those with all other lung diseases over someone with Alpha-1 or COPD.

For those of you who don’t know, UNOS is the United Network of Organ Sharing and it sets the guidelines for all lung transplants within the United States. In other words, UNOS sets the rules as to who get a transplant and who doesn’t and Brigham and Women’s Lung Transplant Program and Dr. Goldberg merely follow them.

Put simply, because I’d asked the question directly, Dr. Goldberg gave me the only answer she could. Only two things could help me get a lung transplant; getting much sicker or sheer luck. Sheer luck is usually when someone above you on the list gets a single lung transplant and you get the other single. But according to Dr. Goldberg, as of right now they weren’t willing to give me a single because in addition to COPD, I also had Bronchiectasis.  

Desperate, I now asked, “But what about survival? Isn’t expected survival supposed to be part of the equation, not just how soon you will die?” Yes, Dr. Goldberg replied, survival is part of the equation. But then she said that other research showed that Alphas post-transplant survival statistics were not any better than those of any other lung disease. Boldly, I told her that I’d recently read about a study that said it was and she asked me to share it with her if I could find it.

Thankfully, my daughter, Maura, and my stepdaughter, Rebecca, were with me that day. As soon as my appointment was over, we left to get a bit of lunch even though I wasn’t sure I could eat. I was so anxious I was literally shaking. An earthquake had shattered my glass half-full.


It was now a month since Gordon’s death and I had no game plan. But those who know me well know that I can’t live long without a game plan. So while we were having lunch, I made a new game plan. I’d buy a Tempur-Pedic adjustable bed. I’d sleep better; ergo I’d feel better.

2 comments:

  1. I'm Rachel and I own a herbal Therapy Center. What I am about to share with you is based on actual fact and I am not a socially irresponsible person. I am a woman of character and I believed that we have only one purpose for existing and that is to help our fellow humans. And everyday millions of other people are joining me and waking up to the understanding that love is the only thing that matters in this life.

    For the past 10+ years I have dealt with a lot of people who have come to me asking if herbal remedies will get rid of herpes, usually genital. I always tell people from what I have observed and heard about NATURAL REMEDY and I suggest that they try it for themselves. I have never told anyone that herbal remedy would cure their herpes.

    I have never told anyone this because I have never had any physical proof to back that up... until this day.

    I have always told anyone who would listen the mystical work herbal remedy do for me when ever I'm in depression, I could say that because if it did that for me, it would do the same for anyone else.

    I have also always told people how herbal remedies got my doctor to successfully cured DIABETES, INFERTILITY, CANCERS, PARALYSIS, STDS & INFECTIONS.

    And I tell anyone about how herbal remedy got me off the Lysinopril I was taking for my high blood pressure That also normalized within 2months. And I am thankful it did because Lysinopril has since been recalled for turning the livers of hundreds of thousands of people into mush!

    And with all the good things herbal remedy has done for my body, I still resisted the urge to tell anyone suffering with herpes that herbal remedy would cure them... but now I am here to tell you differently because I finally came in contact with Dr Utu an African Traditional Herbal Practitioner.

    Few days ago I received an email from a young lady and she told me that her doctor has told her that her body is 100% free of any HSV virus. That her herpes has been cured! I could feel her bouncing off the walls through her email... and my heart was just as happy for her.

    I have asked her to please post a comment on my YouTube Channel.

    I don't know how long she had been infected before she purchased Dr Utu African Traditional Herbal Cure and I do not know anything about the severity of her outbreaks. All I know was that she promised me that she was following the guidelines that Dr Utu gave her to the letter.

    I know there are a lot of people who will think this is too good to be true... but I have always believed that herbal remedy was a viable cure for herpes - but without any proof I felt it would be seriously irresponsible to tell anyone that it would.

    Please feel free to leave a comment to me but please no negative ones. My company is my life and I have spent over 10 years nurturing a good reputation for myself and my business. I am putting everything on the line here, so please bear with me until we know more.

    Why am I risking so much? Why don't I just wait for her? - Are you serious? This is the BIGGEST health breakthrough in my entire lifetime! I'm over 60 and there have been NO CURES for anything since the day I was born! The big pharmaceutical companies all know there is no money in a cure. The money is in teaching you and me to 'live with' and 'manage' deadly, body-wasting and disgusting diseases for our entire lives.

    Imagine the joy all over the world when her story breaks! I invite you all to share in that joy with her and with me.

    You can also contact Dr Utu for yourself via e-mail; drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete